Per-Olof Berggren - Faculty
Distinguished Professor in Diabetes and Metabolic Diseases
School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Per-Olof Berggren, Ph.D., is Head of Cell Biology and Signal Transduction and the Mary Lou Held Visiting Scientist at the Diabetes Research Institute at University of Miami. He is also Professor and Head of Cell Biology and Experimental Endocrinology at the Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm, Sweden. Dr. Berggren also holds different academic positions in the University of Science and Technology, Pohang, South Korea; the Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine/Nanyang Technological University, Singapore; the Faculty of Medicine of Imperial College, London, UK; and the University of Rome Tor Vergata, Italy.
Dr. Berggren is a member of EMBO, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the National Academy of Medicine (USA), the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences Class VII, and the Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet among other prestigious posts.
Dr. Berggren's work focuses on the detailed study and evaluation of beta cell function in health and diabetes. Through cell imaging techniques and other innovative approaches, his work aims to develop new ways to prevent and reduce islet loss during diabetes and in islet transplant applications.
Dr. Berggren joined Tecnológico de Monterrey as Distinguished Visiting Professor in Diabetes and Metabolic Diseases and will be contributing to Tecnológico de Monterrey's Research Center in Diabetes and Metabolic Diseases.
Education and Training
- PhD in Medical Cell Biology, Uppsala University
- Medical School, Uppsala University
- Medical School, Umeå University
- In vivo Ca2+ dynamics in single pancreatic β-cells. JACOB S, KÖHLER M, TRÖSTER P, VISA M, GARCÍA-PRIETO CF, ALANENTALO T, MOEDE T, LEIBIGER B, LEIBIGER IB, BERGGREN PO. FASEB J 2020 Jan;34(1):945-959.
- IgGs from patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and diabetes target CAvα2δ subunits impairing islet cell function and survival. SHI Y, PARK KS, KIM SH, YU J, ZHAO K, YU L, OH KW, LEE K, KIM J, CHAGGAR K, LI Y, DOLPHIN AC, CATTERALL WA, RYU SH, YANG SN, BERGGREN PO. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA November, 2019.
- Structural basis for delta cell paracrine regulation in pancreatic islets. R ARROJO-DRIGO, S JACOB, C GARCIA-PRIETO, X ZHENG, M FUKUDA, H TRAN THI NHU, O STELMASHENKO, FL MARTINS PECANHA, R RODRIGUES-DIAZ, E BUSHONG, T DEERINCK, S PHAN, Y ALI, I LEIBIGER, M CHUA, T BOUDIER, SH SONG, M GRAF, G AUGUSTINE, M ELLISMAN, PO BERGGREN. Nature Communications 16:10(1):3700, 2019.
- Operational immune tolerance towards transplanted allogeneic pancreatic islets in mice and a non-human primate. MH ABDULREDA, DM BERMAN, A SHISHIDO, C MARTIN, M HOSSAMELDIN, A TSHIGGFRIE, LF HERNANDEZ, C RICORDI, J-M PAREL, E JANKOWSKA-GAN, WJ BURLINGHAM, EA ARRIETA-QUINTERO, VL PEREZ, NS KENYON & P-O BERGGREN. Diabetologia 62;(5)811-821,2019. Doi: org/10.1007/s00125-019-4814-4, 2019.
- Mechanism and effects of pulsatile GABA secretion from cytosolic pools in the human beta cell. MENEGAZ D, WALKER HAGAN D, ALMAÇA J, CIANCIARUSO C, RODRIGUEZ-DIAZ R, MOLINA J, DOLAN RM, BECKER MW, SCHWALIE PC, NANO R, LEBRETON F, KANG C, SAH R, GAISANO HY, BERGGREN PO, BAEKKESKOV S, CAICEDO A, PHELPS EA. Nature Metabolism November 2019, Vol 1, 1110-1126.