Janet Alejandra Gutiérrez Uribe - Faculty
Janet Alejandra Gutiérrez Uribe
Regional Department Head of Bioengineering and Science
Campus Puebla, School of Engineering and Sciences, Tecnológico de Monterrey.
Technology and Food Processing
Dr. Janet Gutiérrez is an associate professor in the NutriOmics research group at the School of Engineering and Sciences from Tecnológico de Monterrey, and Director of the Department of Bioengineering and Science from the South Region of Tecnológico de Monterrey. She is a food engineer with graduate studies in biotechnology. For over 15 years, she has been working on the phytochemistry and nutritional biochemistry of phenolic compounds and other nutraceuticals. Particularly, her research is focused on Mexican foods such as black bean, cacti, agave and maize. She has published more than 90 papers in different prestigious journals and is the inventor of more than 10 patents and applications in Mexico and abroad. She has graduated more than 25 graduate students and her teaching skills go beyond lectures. Working with industry and social services are her main drivers in the development of challenges related to biochemistry, molecular biology, cell culture and nutraceutical discovery and characterization. In 2017, the State of Nuevo Leon awarded her with the medal for the Civic Merit due to her research career.
She is a member of the National Researchers Council, currently as Level 2 (3 of 4). Member of the technical committee of the National Network for Research on functional foods and nutraceuticals (AlfaNutra) and participant in CYTED Network for Foods with Probiotic functionality for malnourished children (PROINFANT). Additionally, since 2018, she is a part of the Young Scientists selected by the World Economic Forum. Dr. Gutiérrez has collaboration with different universities and research centers in Mexico and abroad. Nanyang Technological University, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, CSIC, Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, Johns Hopkins University, Purdue University are some examples of the institutions where she has collaborations. Additionally, she has worked in research projects with PEPSICO, Kellogs, Griffith Foods, Agmel, Fundación FEMSA, Fondo ZH and CONACyT.
- Advanced Topics in Nutrigenomics and Food Science
- Analytical Biotechnology
- Integration Project in Chemistry and Nanotechnology
- Material Balances
- Pharmaceutical and Nutraceutical Biotechnology
Education and Training
Doctorate in Engineering Sciences, Tecnológico de Monterrey
Food Industries Engineer, Tecnológico de Monterrey
Master of Science with specialty in Biotechnology, Tecnológico de Monterrey
- Effects of phlorotannin and polysaccharide fractions of brown seaweed Silvetia compressa on human gut microbiota composition using an in vitro colonic model. Journal of Functional Foods. 84. 2021
- Polysaccharides from Agave salmiana bagasse improves the storage stability and the cellular uptake of indomethacin nanoemulsions. Food and Bioproducts Processing. 127:114-127. 2021
- Impact of viscoelastic and structural properties from starch-mango and starch-arabinoxylans hydrocolloids in 3D food printing. Additive Manufacturing. 39. 2021
- Assessment of the bacterial diversity of agave sap concentrate, resistance to in vitro gastrointestinal conditions and short-chain fatty acids production. Food Research International. 140. 2021
- Recovery of Capsaicinoids and Other Phytochemicals Involved With TRPV-1 Receptor to Re-valorize Chili Pepper Waste and Produce Nutraceuticals. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems. 4. 2021
Awards and Honors
Mexican Researcher Certification - Level 3 (Gutiérrez-Uribe, Janet Alejandra)