Skip to main content
Social Responsibility Frequently Asked Questions, Tecnológico de Monterrey

Social Responsibility Frequently Asked Questions


  • Students

  • Faculty

  • Partner Entity

1. Do all Tecnológico de Monterrey undergraduate students have to complete social service?
A: Yes, all undergraduate students must complete social service, in compliance with article 9 of the regulatory law provided by article 5 of the Mexican Political Constitution. Physician and Surgeon (MC) students are governed by the provisions of the Mexican General Health Law.

2. What requirements must be met to start social service at Tecnológico de Monterrey?
A: There are two requirements: 1) Have successfully completed the Social Service Induction Workshop and 2) Have earned credit for at least 96 academic units from the curriculum before starting your social service.

3. How many hours of social service do I have to complete?
A: According the nationwide Regulations in effect, 480 hours within a period of no less than six months. A minimum of 240 hours are for social citizenship service and a maximum of 240 hours for professional social service, the latter in accordance with the guidelines of each Tecnológico de Monterrey campus.

4. What is the maximum number of social service hours for which I can receive credit every semester?
A: According to the General Social Service Rules and Regulations for Tecnológico de Monterrey students, you can receive credit for up to 280 hours of Social Service if you have a full academic load or 360 hours if you are studying fewer than five courses from your curriculum during the semester.

5. As a Tecnológico de Monterrey student, where can I carry out my social citizenship service?
A: Each Tecnológico de Monterrey campus has social service programs and projects, which include activities in civil society organizations, social development projects and projects for courses with the CCTR attribute (Course with Transversal Citizenship), where citizenship education is promoted.

6. Where can I look up the social citizenship or professional projects?
A: In the Integrated Social Service Management System (SIASS), using the quick access icons SSC or SSP for social citizenship projects in organizations or professional social service projects, respectively.

7. Can I carry out my social service abroad?
A: No. According to the legislation in effect in Mexico, social service can only be completed in Mexican territory and/or a Mexican Embassy in other countries, which are considered as Mexican territory.

8. Can I graduate without fulfilling the 480 hours of social service?
A: No. The total fulfillment of social service is one of the requirements provided in the Rules and Regulations for Tecnológico de Monterrey Students for the award of an undergraduate degree.

9. What are the current General Social Service Rules and Regulations for Tecnológico de Monterrey Students?
A: At Tecnológico de Monterrey, the General Social Service Rules and Regulations for Tecnológico de Monterrey Students apply and can be found here.

10. What are the requirements for receiving credit for social service?
a. Complete a total of 480 Social Service hours (a minimum of 240 hours of Social Citizenship Service, in one or several projects, and a maximum of 240 hours of Professional Social Service in one or several projects).
b. Write the Citizenship Experience Report (CER) once you have fulfilled 336 units and 240 hours of social citizenship service. This essay provides information on the citizenship education received by students during their degree program in diverse settings, including social service.

11. What is the CER?
A: CER is the Citizenship Experience Report written on completing social citizenship service, and in which students describe, in essay format, their main experiences during the execution of their social service. This is one of the requirements for corroborating the completion of Social Service.

1. What should I do to promote citizenship through the course I teach?
A: Complete training in Transversal Citizenship or in the Service-Learning (S-L) or Problem-Oriented Learning (POL) teaching techniques.

Consult the training programs offered at the campus. In addition, once you have completed the Transversal Citizenship and Service-Learning or POL Workshop, you must receive the approval of your department director to request the assignment of the CCTR attribute from the Office of the Registrar in the following academic period. To be accompanied by a facilitator during the development of the project in the courses, you must register the Certification with your Academic Development Director.

2. Who can support me in linking my course to a social service project?
A: We recommend working collegially with your Department Director, Academic Development Director, and the Ethics and Citizenship Coordinator at your campus. It is also a good idea to ask for advice through a faculty member (certified facilitator) who is already incorporating transversal citizenship in his/her courses. The person in charge of social service can help with linking projects to the campus’s social organizations.

3. What type of citizenship education projects can I implement?
A: Projects that link communities, civil-society or public-sector institutions, orientated toward the solution of social problems, through your campus’s Social Development Programs or select a public or private organization. There are also communities in which Tecnológico de Monterrey actively collaborates through social citizenship service.

4. What are the periods of time for registering a course for connection with social service?
A: At least three weeks prior to the start of a new semester is recommended (guaranteeing that the faculty member has been trained in Transversal Citizenship and Service-Learning or POL). However, the course must be approved within the planning for the semester by your department director.

5. How many social service credit hours can my students receive in the citizenship project?
A: They can earn credit for up to 60 hours of social service, with the allocation of hours depending on the grade the student obtains in the course. (Place corresponding table here.)

6. What requirements or activities must be fulfilled to complete a social service project in my course?

  1. Project connection with the campus’s social education organizations, first two weeks of the semester.
  2. Registration of your project or authorization of student leaders’ projects with SIASS, first six weeks of the semester.
  3. Project and student follow-up during the semester, including progress review, moments for reflection, intermediate achievements, from week six to week fourteen of the semester.
  4. Recording final results in SIASS, from week 15 to 17.
  5. Project evaluation in SIASS, week 18 of the semester.
  6. Students’ grade for automatic credit for SS hours.
  7. Generation of the letter of verification of SS hours and delivery to those responsible for social service.

1. What is a partner entity?
A: Partner entities are the organizations, associations and institutions, government agencies at any level (municipal, state or federal) or companies that receive social service students from Tecnológico and, committed to student education, agree to support Tecnológico de Monterrey in this effort.

2. What do I need to do to become a partner entity at Tecnológico de Monterrey?
A: Arrange an appointment with those responsible for Social Service at your nearest campus to find out about the program’s characteristics and the information requested by Tecnológico de Monterrey. Afterwards, attend periodical planning sessions and diverse evaluation meetings. The aim is to address the needs within your organization and to participate in the preparation of future graduates who are committed to society.

3. Is there a deadline for registering as a partner entity?
A: Yes. This deadline is linked to the start of the academic period. Ideally, contact the person responsible for Social Service at the campus nearest to you during June and November for further details.

4. Where can I view the applicable General Social Service Rules and Regulations?
A: Tecnológico de Monterrey has the General Social Service Rules and Regulations for Tecnológico de Monterrey Students, which can be found aquí.

5. Is there a form for verification of the social service hours completed by students at my entity?
A: Yes. The letter of verification form can be found in the Integrated Social Service Management System (SIASS) and as an appendix in the General Social Service Rules and Regulations for Tecnológico de Monterrey Students aquí.

6. What type of activities should I develop with students in my partner entity?
A: As part of students’ educational process, it is important to:

  • Implement an induction or introduction to the social issues your entity addresses.
  • Provide moments and instruments for reflection during the social service.
  • Develop appropriate activities for the project or entity.
  • Organize a final reflection workshop that will generate evidence upRon completion of the project.