Cynthia Mayté Villarreal Garza
Cynthia Mayté Villarreal Garza
Director of Clinic Oncology at the Breast Cancer Center, TecSalud
School of Medicine and Health Sciences, TecSalud
Campus Monterrey, Hospital Zambrano Hellion
- Biomedical Sciences, Internal Medicine
"It is difficult to remain strong when facing news of a cancer recurrence or situations when the progression of a disease conditions the decline of the patient."
Cynthia Mayté Villarreal Garza devotes her work towards women who suffer from breast cancer. She has two goals: to achieve early detection and to administer appropriate treatment that increases the recovery rate. In addition, she promotes initiatives that help women confront the illness in the best possible way in order to continue their lives with strength.
Dr. Villarreal has published more than 120 papers in international journals, and is an opinion leader in breast cancer nationally and internationally.
She is the head of the Oncology Department at the Breast Cancer Center in Hospital Zambrano Hellion. Combining her medical career with her interest in research, she has taken practical action towards the care and education of her patients, with whom she establishes a close relation to provide guidance and support. She has even started an awareness project on metastatic breast cancer with the intention of encouraging assistance with services such as palliative medicine and care, nutrition, rehabilitation and psychology.
As director of the Joven & Fuerte [Young & Strong] program, Villarreal Garza optimizes clinical care to assist both patients and their families. As head of the Alerta Rosa [Pink Alert] program for Asociación MILC (Médicos e Investigadores en la Lucha Contra el Cáncer de Mama), her goal is to reduce assistance times by classifying and prioritizing women with mammary symptoms or abnormal tests. And the Genetic Counseling Program for Breast Cancer Risk, implemented in TecSalud hospitals, has granted access to genetic testing for resource-scarce communities.
- Ambulatory Internal Medicine
- Ambulatory Rotation
- Clinical Rotation
- Doctoral Research
- Doctoral Research Proposal
- Epidemiological Research
- Hospital Internal Medicine
- Hospital and Outpatient Clinic in Internal Medicine
- Hospitalist Rotation
- Oncology Clinic
- Oncology and Palliative Care
- Research Internship
- Research Seminar
- Clinical behavior and outcomes of breast cancer in young women with germline BRCA pathogenic variants. npj Breast Cancer. 7. 2021
- Adjuvant endocrine therapy for premenopausal women with breast cancer: Patient adherence and physician prescribing practices in Mexico. Breast. 59:8-15. 2021
- Breast cancer associated pathogenic variants among women 61¿years and older with triple negative breast cancer. Journal of Geriatric Oncology. 12:749-751. 2021
- Factors associated with the desire to undergo post-mastectomy breast reconstruction in a Mexican breast cancer center. Supportive Care in Cancer. 29:2679-2688. 2021
- Impact of chemotherapy regimen and sequence on the effectiveness of scalp cooling for alopecia prevention. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 185:453-458. 2021
Education and Training
- Doctor of Science, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (U.N.A.M.)
- Internal Medicine, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (U.N.A.M.)
- Master of Medical Sciences, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (U.N.A.M.)
- Surgeon, Tecnológico de Monterrey
Awards and Honors
- XXXI Premio "Miguel Aleman Valdés" en el Área de Salud, conferred by Fundación Miguel Alemán, 2017
- Susan G Komen Grant 2015. An Education Intervention Program on Breast Cancer in Young Women for Patients and Physicians, conferred by Susan G Komen Grant, 2015
- Premios Bieniales de FUNSALUD a la Investigación en Cáncer de Mama por el trabajo "Impact of diabetes and hyperglycemia on survival in advanced breast cancer patients, conferred by FUNSALUD, 2013
- 2010 ASCO Cancer Foundation Merit Award, conferred by ASCO, 2010
- 2009 ASCO International Development and Education, conferred by ASCO, 2009
- Mexican Researcher Certification - Level 2 (Villarreal-Garza, Cynthia Mayte)